Quality Improvement Assistance Opportunities
Note: The application period is now closed.
TEPHINET Accreditation of Field Epidemiology Training Programs: Quality Improvement Assistance (QIA) 2021-2022
TEPHINET is offering its member Field Epidemiology Training Programs (FETPs) Quality Improvement Assistance opportunities for 2021-2022. This assistance is entirely program-led: programs will design and implement activities that are driven by their own needs to improve program quality in specific areas.
Only intermediate or advanced-level FETPs may apply. Accredited or non-accredited programs may apply. Up to $15,000 may be awarded for eligible quality improvement activities.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and funds will be awarded contingent upon availability of funds. All activities must be completed by August 31, 2022. Programs must have either a bank account or a partner organization to receive funds in two lump sums, and must have enough staff to manage reporting on use of funds. Interim and final reports describing progress on the project’s objectives will be required.
To apply, please complete the following steps:
- Fill out both the Application Template and the Budget Template, found in the "Required Documents for Application" section at the bottom of this page.
- Visit this link to submit your responses from the application template and upload your budget.
Applications will not be accepted via email. If you have questions about this new application process, please send them to accreditation [at] tephinet [dot] org. We are here to help!
Please note that priority will be given to programs that did not receive an Emergency Capacity Building Grant in 2020 or a Quality Improvement Assistance Award in early 2021. The Accreditation and Quality Improvement team will review applications and select programs for funding based on the following criteria.
- Description and strength of objectives (50%). Objectives must be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely
- Description of how the activity would contribute to quality improvement (30%)
- Feasibility of the activity (20%)
Eligible quality improvement activities include, but are not limited to:
- Assistance in developing documents needed for accreditation
- Workshop(s) targeting a specific need of FETP staff (TEPHINET may be able to identify trainers). Examples may include: supervisor training; mentor training; advanced biostatistics; other continuing education topics
- Workshop targeting a specific need of FETP residents/trainees (TEPHINET may be able to identify trainers). Examples may include: scientific writing/manuscript preparation; oral presentation/power point skills; data visualization skills.
- Monitoring and evaluation activities
- Curriculum revision or development
- Conducting needs assessments of training of graduates or mentors
- Securing access to selected, relevant software (e.g. MaxQDA, EndNote, on-line journals)
Activities that are NOT eligible for assistance, according to the rules of TEPHINET’s Cooperative Agreement with CDC:
- Regular operating costs or routine FETP activities
- Salaries of staff
- Outbreak investigations
- Internet service
- Purchase of computers
- Staff travel
- Stipends for residents/trainees
- Research projects of FETP participants
- Travel of residents to conferences
Confidentiality: All information provided in the application and proposal will remain confidential and will be used only for this QI Assistance opportunity. Programs will have the option of participating in a TEPHINET website or newsletter feature if they wish.
Required Documents for Application
To apply, download the Application Template and Budget Template below, and submit your responses at this link. For questions, please contact accreditation [at] tephinet [dot] org.