Call for Abstracts: 2022 FETP International Nights
TEPHINET and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are pleased to launch the call for abstracts for the 2022 FETP International Nights.
Over the past 21 years, the FETP International Nights event has become a time-honored tradition within the global Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) community. Co-sponsored by TEPHINET and CDC, this event features oral and poster presentations by FETP trainees and graduates as well as remarks by special guests. The 2022 FETP International Nights will take place on May 10-11, 2022, in a virtual format (learn more).
In addition to having the opportunity to present their abstracts during this event, presenting authors will have their abstracts published in TEPHINET’s Field Epidemiology Abstract Database (https://www.tephinet.org/learning/fead).
Currently enrolled FETP trainees/residents, and those graduating after January 1, 2021, are invited to submit abstracts (in English only) through their program directors for consideration (see details below). Priority will be given to currently enrolled trainees/residents.
Abstracts should cover investigations or projects undertaken and completed during training and within the past two years (i.e., no earlier than December 2019). We are interested in abstracts describing outbreak investigations, implementation and evaluation of public health programs or surveillance activities, non-communicable diseases, and other areas in applied epidemiology. In particular, abstracts and presentations should emphasize how the results of the investigation or an analysis were used to direct public health actions, and also describe or estimate the public health impact.
Abstracts submitted for consideration should be original. In particular, the abstract should not represent work already published in peer-reviewed journals or previously accepted and presented to a conference.
Refer to the attachments under the section "Supporting Documents" below for guidance on abstract format, suggestions, and evaluation criteria.
Submission of Abstracts
- Deadline for final abstracts: The deadline for abstracts to be received via Ex Ordo, a platform managed by TEPHINET, is January 14, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (23:59) Eastern Time. There will be NO extension to this deadline. Note: Please do not send abstracts for FETP International Night consideration to the EIS office.
- Submission of abstracts: Individual authors must coordinate submissions with their program directors. All abstracts must be submitted by a program director or their delegate. Each program is allowed to submit up to four (4) abstracts. Abstracts will be collected at: https://fetpintlnights2022.exordo.com; this method is the only submission method acceptable for an abstract to be considered. The site will be open to receive submissions on November 18. Once the site is active, directors will be prompted to create an account and log in. For questions about using the platform, please contact Elena Atkinson at eatkinson [at] tephinet [dot] org. NOTE: Any abstract submitted by someone who is not a program director or their delegate will NOT be considered for the conference.
- Program rankings: Because of limited space for presentations and a desire to maintain a broad representation of programs, a maximum of four (4) abstracts can be submitted from any single program and one (1) abstract per person (first authors). The program director (or his/her delegate) must rank abstracts in order of preference from 1-4, with “1” signifying the most preferred abstract and “4” signifying the least preferred abstract. Abstracts submitted without a ranking will NOT be considered.
- Evaluation: All abstracts submitted for this event will be reviewed by three independent scientific reviewers. The final decision on which abstracts will be invited to present will be taken by the Scientific Committee, incorporating peer review scores, program ranking, current resident/trainee status, geographic representation, and other factors.
- Acceptance: Applicants will be notified of abstract(s) acceptances by mid-February 2022.
- Additional information: Please see attachments under the section "Supporting Documents" below for detailed instructions and suggestions for FETP authors to prepare their abstracts.
Please note: Abstract authors may be contacted to elicit their feedback on the abstract submission process.