Call for Applications: Scientific Communications Curriculum Development Consultant
The Vietnam Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) was established by the Vietnam Ministry of Health (MoH) in 2007 to train public health workers in disease surveillance and response, and meet the development needs of the preventive medicine system. The Vietnam FETP is led by an FETP office housed under Vietnam’s General Department of Preventive Medicine (GDPM), part of the country’s Ministry of Health. Currently, the program seeks to revise the curriculum for its advanced-level FETP from its current 2-year program to a ‘progressive model’ consisting of a 3-month frontline course, a 9-month intermediate course, and a 12-month advanced course (the model is termed “progressive” because participants in the intermediate and advanced levels can only enter through successful completion of the previous level).
FETP trainings are competency based and focus on hands-on learning, with less than 25% of the program time spent in the classroom and more than 75% of time spent on the job practicing field epidemiology and solving real life problems. The 12-month advanced training course comprises three workshops with a total of less than three months of classroom learning and nine months of fieldwork, including the completion of three investigations/studies. Scientific Communication is one of the modules offered in the advanced 12-month capstone course. Classroom teaching of scientific communication is scheduled to be delivered in the third workshop (month six), with practical application the Scientific Communication competency (abstract, poster, manuscript, oral presentation, reports) occurring during months 7 to 12.
In partnership with the Vietnam FETP and CDC Vietnam, TEPHINET is seeking a consultant to develop Scientific Communications curriculum materials for the advanced 12-month course. The Scientific Communications module should be as hands-on as possible to allow participants to practice and gain confidence in scientific communication skills.
The consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Develop curriculum and training materials for the Scientific Communications module of the Vietnam FETP advanced 12-month capstone training program. The curriculum should include lectures and instructions for practice on scientific communication that correspond to competency and field requirements of the FETP advanced 12-month capstone. The module should be designed with principles of hands-on coaching and practical approaches to build trainees’ competency on developing written and oral public heath communication to internal and external audiences.
- Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) in CDC team meetings and in the Vietnam Technical Working Group (TWG) to support Vietnam FETP in customizing the Scientific Communications module for implementation of the first cohort of the FETP advanced 12-month capstone training. The SME can interact with the TWG through virtual meetings.
January, 2023-May 30, 2023
Experience and Qualifications
- Masters Level degree (or higher) in scientific communications
Experience and Expertise
- Strong experience working with scientific communications, particularly in public health and epidemiology
- Strong experience developing training materials on scientific communications
- Experience working and/or teaching internationally, particularly in resource constrained countries.
- Working experience with regional/international organizations
- Working experience on FETP and/or training curriculum development
- Documented expertise in communication and scientific writing
- Proficient in English, spoken and written
- Effective planning and organizing skills
When to apply: Applications will be accepted through 5:00pm EST on December 30, 2022
Required Documents for Submission:
- Background/qualifications (CV, organizational profile, etc.) (required)
- Cover letter summarizing expertise and relevance to the proposed scope of work (required)
- A brief plan outlining a scientific communication module that the candidate has in mind for this consultancy (preferred)
- An example of previous work that is related to the specific work/objectives (preferred)
- Only shorted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- The successful candidature will receive a briefing about the scope of work and materials related to the curriculum in detail. The candidate will discuss with CDC and TEPHINET to agree on a detailed workplan.
How to apply: Please submit required documents and/or any questions you may have to Molly Tutt, Project Manager, at mtutt [at] taskforce [dot] org.