Consultant to Support Landscape Analysis of South America Region
Terms of Reference: Consultant to Support Landscape Analysis of South America Region
About TEPHINET and the CDC South America Regional Office:
TEPHINET: Training Programs in Epidemiology & Public Health Interventions Network (TEPHINET) is a global network of field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) founded in June 1997 with support from the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Foundation Merieux. With a secretariat based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, TEPHINET is the only global network of field epidemiology training programs, spanning multiple regional networks, sub-regional programs, and national programs around the world. Overall, TEPHINET comprises 77 programs in more than 100 countries. Currently, there are more than 12,000 FETP graduates around the world. For more information, visit TEPHINET’s website: https://www.tephinet.org.
CDC South America Regional Office (SAM RO): Established in October 2020, the CDC SAM RO strengthens CDC’s ability to meet its mission of protecting Americans by responding more rapidly to health threats wherever they occur and building key relationships to tackle shared health priorities. South America faces public health threats stemming from emerging diseases, humanitarian crises, changing ecosystems, urbanization, and the resulting habitat loss, travel, and migration issues. The rapid spread of Zika across the Americas and to other countries and territories on the North and South American continents and the impact of the current COVID-19 pandemic in the region are compelling examples. CDC is uniquely suited to increase engagement and collaboration with South American leaders to better protect countries in the region and the US from health threats.
Objective of Consultancy:
The consultant will collaborate with TEPHINET and the CDC SAM RO to conduct a landscape analysis of workforce planning activities at the national level to establish a baseline of the following:
- Presence/absence of FETP integration into national workforce development plans
- Existence and/or need for labor market analysis for epidemiologists and/or other priority public health positions
- Hold kick-off meeting with TEPHINET and the CDC SAM RO to gain understanding of goals for the analysis. Throughout consultancy, maintain regular communication with focal points at TEPHINET and the CDC SAM RO.
- Based on goals identified at kick-off meeting, develop detailed work plan for conducting the landscape analysis, with clear deliverables and appropriate timelines.
- Coordinate and conduct meetings with key stakeholders, as needed.
- At end of consultancy, prepare and present a report of findings to present to TEPHINET and the CDC SAM RO teams.
- Background in Public Health required; Master of Public Health degree preferred
- Extensive experience in designing and executing landscape analyses
- Demonstrated skills in diplomacy for engagement with multiple domestic and international partners
- Fluency in oral and written English required; in addition to English, preferred proficiency in Spanish and Portuguese, oral and written
- Position is primarily remote but may require travel throughout South America
Contract Period: June-September 2023 (4 months)
- The selected candidate will be expected to start by June 1.
- Who can apply: Independent consultants with expert backgrounds in public health, landscape analysis, and experience working with multiple partners
- When to apply: Applications will be accepted until May 20, 2023.
- Required documents for submission:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Outlined approach for performing specific duties
- Financial proposal showing the budgeted cost for the work to be conducted
- How to apply: Please submit the required documents and/or any questions you may have to Claudia Moya, TEPHINET Project Manager, at email@example.com.