Announcing the Passing of Dr. Mariana Mansur

By:
Tina Rezvani, Communications Manager
Mansur_Mariana.jpg

Dr. Mariana Mansur

i

It is with unspeakable sadness that the TEPHINET Secretariat shares the news that Dr. Mariana Mansur, a beloved member of our team, passed away from cancer on November 13, 2019.

Many of our partners had the privilege of knowing and working with Mariana over the past three and a half years. As a TEPHINET Project Manager, she was an integral force in managing our Zika- and polio-related work in Latin America and Pakistan, among other projects.

Prior to joining TEPHINET in 2016, she served at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as Program Manager for more than 10 years in Cuba and Belize, where she was in charge of implementing complex health programs funded mainly by the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. She then joined HIVOS in Guatemala as Country Director from 2012-2013, and in 2014, she was relocated to Plan International in the Dominican Republic as Resource Mobilization Coordinator. She held a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from the Technical University of Havana, Cuba, and a PhD in biology from Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain, with a focus on molecular biology and biochemistry.

We will always remember her as a deeply kind, gracious, and committed colleague and friend. Rest in peace, Mariana.

She is survived by her husband, Francisco, and their son, David.

Please feel free to share a memory about Mariana in the comments section below.

Comments

Submitted by Chicho (not verified) on Sat, 16/11/2019 - 10:26

Compañera de estudios aquí en Cuba. Maravillosa. Cuanto lo siento. Que descanse en paz

Submitted by Odalys Canales ... (not verified) on Sat, 16/11/2019 - 22:42

La noticia sobre el fallecimiento de nuestra amiga y compañera de estudios universitarios ha sido impactante. Es una lamentable perdida para la comunidad científica y para todos sus amigos que desde Cuba y otras partes del mundo recordamos a la Dra. Mariana Mansur  con mucho cariño y admiración. Llegué a sus familiares nuestro más sentido pésame y nuestro cariño infinito. Descansa en paz Mariana.

Submitted by Dr Muhammad Sha... (not verified) on Wed, 20/11/2019 - 04:45

Great memories of working with her at NIH, Pakistan. We will miss her.

Submitted by Muzna (not verified) on Fri, 20/12/2019 - 14:59

shocked to know of Mariana's passing... such a gentle soul!  wishing patience and courage to the family ...

Submitted by Alicia Garcia S... (not verified) on Sun, 05/01/2020 - 12:49

Please, I need to contac with Mariana husband, would you help me?

Submitted by Rodrigo Vega (not verified) on Tue, 28/01/2020 - 14:56

I had the pleasure of working with Mariana in Guatemala. I am very sorry to hear this news and that it is after so much time. I would like to show my family and friends my regret. We will always remember her with love

Submitted by Manine Arends (not verified) on Tue, 28/01/2020 - 15:36

Dear familiy and colleagues of Mariana,

Only today I found out about the passing of Mariana. I am deeply shocked, this is so sad. We were colleagues during her time at Hivos when she was based in Guatemala, I was her backstop at the regional office in Costa Rica.  She was such an intelligent, strategic, fun, warm and inspiring person!  Thank you so much Mariana! My condolences for her husband and son and all her beloved ones.

Submitted by marcel kordiak (not verified) on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 03:37

is she daughter of cuba general consul in bratislava-slovakia.1974-1978 ?

Submitted by Teresa Suárez (not verified) on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 13:03

I am so so sad, she was one of the most warm and generous persons I ever met. Her endless kindness and luminous smile will stay with me forever. I will always remember our days in Spain at CIB playing with fungi, so much fun doing really interesting and good work. She has a very special place in my heart and the world is a sad place without her. All my love and support to Pancho, their son and all the family.

Submitted by Dr Aftab kakar (not verified) on Wed, 27/01/2021 - 23:58

She was part of NSTOP CDC polio program, she attended our review meeting at Quetta Pakistan, very committed women with the program and she was very worried about the situation of polio program in

Pakistan

Submitted by Oskar Kadlec (not verified) on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 11:44

I remember Mariana as my clasmate from Bratislava, Slovakia. She was kind girl and good friend. R.I.P. Mariana