Request for Consultancy: Learning Strategy Development Consultant
Request for Consultancy: Learning Strategy Development Consultant
Date posted: September 18, 2019
TEPHINET, a program of The Task Force for Global Health, is searching for a consultant to provide strategic development expertise starting in early October 2019. This will be a product-based consultancy involving iterative processes through August 31, 2020.
Main expected work products:
- Strategy development inputs, such as targeted environmental scans, surveys, focus group reports, etc.
- Updated TEPHINET Learning Strategy outline
- Approximately 2 drafts of the strategy document
- Final approved strategy
- Related strategy action plans
This work can be done remotely; however, depending on work location, it is anticipated that attendance at 2 in-person events will be required.
Training Programs in Epidemiology & Public Health Interventions Network (TEPHINET) is a global network of field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) founded in June 1997 with support from the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Foundation Merieux. With a secretariat based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, TEPHINET is the only global network of field epidemiology training programs, spanning multiple regional networks, sub-regional programs, and national programs around the world. Overall, TEPHINET comprises 71 programs in more than 100 countries. Currently, there are more than 12,000 FETP graduates around the world. For more information, visit TEPHINET’s website: https://www.tephinet.org
The consultant will take the lead supporting TEPHINET in creating and implementing a continuous learning strategy as it relates to their mission goals. TEPHINET’s vision for the learning strategy is to:
- Create a robust and sustainable learning platform able to host educational resources and training materials relevant to the global FETP community
- Strengthen TEPHINET’s learning support, coordination, and interaction role to amplify the effectiveness of field epidemiologists within the network
- Generate both internal and external (e.g., academic and research institutions) opportunities for collaboration and knowledge exchange
The Strategy Development Consultant will focus primarily on collecting learning strategy inputs from stakeholders and creating a strategy supported by TEPHINET as it pertains to one of its strategic work areas: continuous learning. The consultant will primarily be supporting TEPHINET learning activities, such as, but not limited to:
- Learning Strategy creation and validation processes
- Working closely with content stakeholders throughout the FETP Learning Advisory Council (FLAC) and the broader organization/network (TEPHINET) to gather content requirements
- Edit, proofread, and continually improve content, ensuring all information is accurate and consistent with organizational language
- Other priority learning activities that result from the above strategy-related tasks
This position will focus primarily on supporting continued implementation of Objectives 1 and 2, and to a lesser degree Objectives 3 and 4, from the TEPHINET Learning Strategy Development and Implementation initiative:
Objective 1: Formalize the creation of a network-wide learning advisory board
Tasks: Identification of and communication with a larger network of learning focal points from key stakeholder groups, for support to this board and initiative, as needed
Objective 2: TEPHINET Learning Strategy is finalized and validated by the learning advisory board (FLAC), FETP Program Directors, and other key stakeholders (anticipated by May 2020
- Lead development of the FETP Learning Strategy with key stakeholders
- Create strategy outline
- Synthesize and organize components from FLAC and Secretariat inputs and outputs
- Identify and lead assessment activities as inputs to the strategy development process
- Write strategy, including relevant appendices
- Contribute to functional sub-working groups as identified, whose aim is to develop criteria for key components of the strategy and its implementation
- Create a final, approved written strategy ready for presentation to key stakeholders for validation
Objective 3: By August 31, 2020, begin selection of new technology solutions for the TEPHINET Secretariat to manage and share with the global network.
Objective 4: Starting in May 2020 through August 31, 2020, begin dissemination and implementation of TEPHINET Continuous Learning Strategy (TEPHINET will be concurrently working on some priority activities while developing the strategy.)
Tasks: Based on approved strategy, lead the initial development of related action plans
Consultant Preferred Background:
- Masters (or PhD) degree in a relevant field such as global health, communications, or learning
- Demonstrated experience in strategy development processes and strategic content writing, ideally within a global, non-profit setting
- Demonstrated experience with learning/capacity building related initiatives
- Proven competency in strategic writing
- Superior writing skills – grammatical proficiency and attention to detail
- Global health experience, ideally related to epidemiology or similar field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with diverse stakeholders
- Interest in strengthening public health capacity, workforce development
How to Apply:
If you are interested (or have questions), please send a relevant curriculum vitae (C.V.) and two strategy-related writing samples to Claire Jennings at cjennings [at] tephinet [dot] org.
TASK FORCE BACKGROUND: The Task Force for Global Health is an Emory University affiliate located in Decatur, GA. Its programs focus on building robust public health systems that serve all people. Program areas include neglected tropical diseases, vaccines, and health systems strengthening. The Task Force for Global Health was recognized for its extraordinary contributions to alleviating human suffering with the 2016 Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize, the world's largest award of its kind. The Task Force is ranked among the largest nonprofits in the United States due to in-kind contributions of medicines and vaccines from major pharmaceutical companies valued at billions of dollars annually.
The above statements are intended to describe the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER: The Task Force for Global Health is dedicated to providing equal opportunities to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran’s status, or any factor that is a prohibited consideration under applicable law.