A Cluster of Botulism Cases in Uzbekistan
Investigation of a cluster of botulism cases among guests who attended a social gathering at a home in Uzbekistan on December 31, 2003. Straightforward outbreak investigation case study with only 24 attendees and 8 foods, but addresses botulism as a possible bioterrorism agent.
- Assess whether an increase in the number of apparent cases represents an outbreak
- Optional: Describe some of the features that are consistent with an intentional or an unintentional exposure that results in an outbreak
- Describe some of the decisions that must be made before going to the field to conduct a field investigation
- Develop and apply a case definition in a field investigation
- Calculate and compare exposure-specific attack rates to identify possible vehicles