Globally, noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) account for more than two-thirds of the burden of disease and 73 percent of deaths. Cardiovascular diseases are the number one cause of death, killing more than 18 million people every year. COVID-19 studies around the world have shown that people living with NCDs have a higher risk of becoming seriously ill or dying from COVID-19, and interruptions in healthcare have worsened the problem.
Field Epidemiology Training Programs (FETPs) around the world are responding to COVID-19 on the frontlines but need tools and training to specifically address NCDs. To encourage and support the involvement of FETPs in the fight against NCDs in the midst of the pandemic response, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and RTI International have developed the FETP: NCD COVID-19 Toolkit.
Designed to increase knowledge and raise awareness of the impact of infectious diseases and NCDs, the Toolkit will help FETP trainees develop the skills needed to integrate NCD investigation into COVID-19 response duties while reinforcing best practices for infectious disease control.
The toolkit contains*:
- Field Project Topics, Questions, and Areas for Investigation: Suggested Examples – List of suggested topics and questions for Intermediate and Advanced FETP Residents on COVID-19 and NCD projects.
- Literature Synthesis Report – Literature synthesis of key associations between NCDs and COVID-19.
- Two case study training exercises:
- Intermediate FETP Case Study: Investigating a Post-Pandemic Ischemic Stroke Surge at Capital City Hospital – Collecting, Reviewing, Interpreting, and Summarizing Data on Stroke and Associated Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor
- Part A – Investigating Stroke Cases
- Part B – Investigating Risk Factors
- Advanced FETP Case Study: An Epidemiological Study to Examine Stroke Hospitalizations During the COVID-19 Pandemic – Planning and Conducting Analysis
- Part A – Study Design
- Part B – Performing Analyses
*See the "Files" section in the sidebar to download.
The full FETP: NCD COVID-19 Toolkit is currently available in English, with the Advanced and Intermediate case studies also available in Arabic, Portuguese, and Spanish languages. An informational video and brochures are available in Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish languages. All toolkit materials are 508 compliant.