- Copied to clipboard
Online Scientific Communication Courses: Developing and Delivering Effective Oral Presentations
Communicating scientific information clearly and concisely is a required competency of the Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) trainees. Collaborating with TEPHINET, the CDC has developed a package of self-study online scientific communication courses with guidance on developing a poster presentation, an oral presentation, conducting a literature search, and writing a scientific manuscript. These interactive courses help trainees learn and apply principles of effective communication to highlight the main findings for informing diverse audiences. In addition, the learners can benefit from the step-by-step guidance provided throughout their training. The courses offer flexibility and convenience for learners. This page provides access to the "Developing and Delivering Effective Oral Presentations" course. The learners can also access additional scientific communication courses listed below:
- "Developing a Poster Presentation" course
- "Writing a Scientific Manuscript" course
- "Conducting a Literature Review" course
Course Description and Objectives
This course guides learners on how to deliver an effective oral presentation at a scientific conference. This will include ways to create effective slides and best practices for delivering an oral presentation.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe how to develop an oral presentation based on an abstract from a research study.
- Identify ways to design slides effectively.
- Identify key steps to take when preparing to deliver an oral presentation.
- Apply verbal and nonverbal best practices when delivering an oral presentation.
- Explain ways to effectively answer audience questions after an oral presentation.
The course will guide learners through the following steps for developing and delivering effective oral presentations.
The course is web-based and can be accessed here.
This course is also accessible offline. For the offline version, please download the zip file.
In order to open the zip file and run the course:
- Step One: Download the zip file
- Step Two: Once it is downloaded, right-click the zip file to extract all
- Step Three: Open the extracted folder
- Step Four: Start each module by clicking the files named "Launch Module" for each