Utility of Brazilian Hospital Information System as a tool for monitoring morbidity by traffic accident in Brazil, 2002-2011
Camila Alves Bahia
Objectives: A study about the morbidity due to traffic accidents in Brazil is needed:
- Due the magnitude of the traffic accidents
- Information about traffic accidents can be found in various sources
- Other previous studies only evaluate mortality
- Among the traffic accidents, the road traffic accidents were responsible for the most number of hospitalizations in the period.
- There was an increase in the number of admissions where the cause of hospitalizations were non-specific traffic accidents.
- Among the road traffic accidents, those where the victim is a motorcyclist presented higher proportions, with an increase over the years.
- Most hospitalizations by road traffic accidents occurred among male individuals.
- Most part of the individuals hospitalized due to road traffic accidents left the hospital after discharge.
- We don’t know if the number of deaths is under or overestimated because we didn’t link the data to the data of the information system of mortality.
- Dataset was found to be: simple, flexible, good data quality, good acceptability, and useful.
- Reinforce the need to fill up the variable race/color and ethnicity.
- Increase the use of the system for epidemiological studies of road traffic accidents.
- Disseminate the system among the offices and institutions that work and research road traffic accidents.
- Encourage the use of the SIH by municipal and state levels in order to recognize the magnitude of the problem and implement prevention.
Health systems strengthening
Country or Area