FETP Accreditation and Quality Improvement
The 7th Cycle for Advanced Accreditation and the 2nd Cycle for Intermediate Accreditation will open on January 12, 2023. Programs who submitted Expressions of Interest to the Accreditation team are eligible to apply. The schedule for the 2023 cycle can be found below.
About TEPHINET Accreditation
TEPHINET accreditation is an opportunity for field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) to align with common standards that support quality training and increased recognition of their value in supporting country public health priorities.
TEPHINET developed the process and standards for accreditation over a five-year period with input from its global network of programs and partners including the TEPHINET Accreditation Working Group (AWG). These standards are grouped into five domains:
- Management, Infrastructure and Operations
- Integration with Public Health Service
- Staffing and Supervision
- Selection and Training of Residents
- Continuous Quality Improvement
Preparation for accreditation requires a concerted effort on the part of the FETP and may take a program several months or longer. The driving force behind accreditation is quality improvement. Any program can use the accreditation indicators and standards to identify areas of improvement regardless of its intent to apply for accreditation.
Important Dates for the 2023 Accreditation Cycle
The next cycle of TEPHINET Accreditation will open on January 12, 2023. Please note the following key dates and deadlines:
- Deadline to submit Expressions of Interest: January 6
*Please note: Submission of an Expression of Interest is required to be considered for the 2023 accreditation cycle.
- Accreditation cycle opens with the Eligibility Phase: January 12
*If you have specific questions about your program's eligibility according to the written criteria, please email email@example.com.
- Eligibility Phase closes: January 27
- Eligibility determinations complete: February 3
*Eligible programs will be notified of their selection to move on to the application phase by February 3
- Application Phase for selected programs: February 8-March 10
- Reviewer Assessment Phase: March 14-April 14
- Site visits: May 8-July 28 (12 weeks)
- Accreditation decisions made by the Global Accrediting Body (GAB): September 11-15
Additional information on the TEPHINET Accreditation process, including the Accreditation Readiness Assessment, Minimum Indicators and Standards, and a flowchart of the Accreditation process and application can be found in the "Important Documents" section at the bottom of this page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Can Apply?
Basic eligibility requirements for Advanced Level FETPs planning to apply:
- The majority of residents' time is spent in field work (minimum of 68 weeks)
- The duration of the program is equal to or greater than 21 months
- At least two cohorts have completed the program within the past five years, and at least 75 percent of the total residents who started the program also completed it
Basic eligibility requirements for Intermediate Level FETPs planning to apply:
- The majority of participants’ time is spent in field work, and no more than 25% of the entire duration of the program is spent in the classroom (didactic/formal course work)
- The duration of the program is at least 33 weeks (7.5 months) and not more than 65 weeks (15 months)
- At least two cohorts of participants have completed the program within the past four years. At least 75% of the total participants who started the program also completed it
- At least 80% of participants are employed in a public health institution
Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.